Friday, June 5, 2009

The Dankest Brownies Ever

I found this recipe while perusing the Treasury of Chocolate cookbook. (The pictures of chocolate deserts in this book are so mouthwatering and tempting that I think I gained five pounds just by looking.) I looked at this recipe and thought to myself, "Wow, I have all those ingredients on hand, I wonder how it tastes?" And that was it, I was sold. About an hour later, I had the yummiest, gooiest brownies I had ever had, and I had made them from scratch, and unbelievably they weren't hard to make at all. I have more trouble with cookies.

Here's a picture of the finished brownies.
MPL_38

Notice the piece missing, my brother got to the brownies before I got a picture of them.

I will warn you there is some baking (ok, it is baking) involved. This means I had to actually measure ingredients and mix them according to set directions.

You'll need:

1/2 cup of butter (1 stick) melted
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup Hershey's Cocoa Powder
1/2 cup Flour
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt

Preheat the oven to 350 F

Start by melting the butter.
MPL_21

mmmm butter...


Throw your all your dry ingredients EXCEPT the sugar into a bowl. (That would be the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
MPL_26

Mix until combined and set aside.
MPL_30

I mixed dark and regular cocoa powder, but that's not necessary. If you like milk chocolate then stick with regular, if you like dark...ok you get it.

In a second large bowl, mix the sugar and the melted butter and vanilla. Once it's mixed, add the eggs.
MPL_22

Break the yolks...
MPL_24

And mix well...
MPL_25

Now here's the tricky part. Add a little bit of the dry ingredients to the egg/butter/sugar mixture. Mix well after each addition with a wooden spoon. As you add more and more of the dry, it gets harder and harder to stir.
MPL_32

MPL_34

MPL_33

MPL_35

Is anybody else's mouth watering yet?

At this point you might want to use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl in order to get it all mixed.

Once it is well combined, pour the ooey gooey batter into a greased 8x8 baking dish.
MPL_36

Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl, you don't want any of that yumminess to go to waste.
MPL_37


Bake at 350 F for 20 to 25 minutes or until brownie begins to pull away from the edges of the dish.

These were so good, we couldn't wait to dig in.
MPL_38

1 comment: