Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Yota's Yummy Meatloaf

I told a friend that I was going to make meatloaf for my next blog post. He thought it would be too hard. What he doesn't realize is that after Mac and Cheese, the next thing I learned to make was meatloaf, from scratch. My mom's instructions were pretty simple. Open fridge, remove eggs and whatever condiments or other stuff looks good, and mix it with the ground beef and some breadcrumbs. No real measurements, and lots of messy fun, because the best way to mix the meatloaf is with your hands.

Let me introduce my ingredients (This time :))


So we've got ground beef, eggs, mustard, Italian bread crumbs, salsa, and ketchup. I've also been known to add BBQ sauce, chopped onion, diced tomato, or whatever else is on hand. I cheat by using Italian bread crumbs so I don't have to season. Yet again I made enough for lots of people, so what's pictured is more than you'll need. I've cut the recipe down for you. I don't really measure when I make this recipe, but I'll give you my best guess.

1 lb ground beef
1 egg
2 tbsp mustard (yellow, spicy, whatever makes you happy)
4 tbsp ketchup
4 tbsp salsa
2 tbs Parmesan Cheese (not pictured, just pretend its there)
1/4 - 1/2 cup bread crumbs (Start with 1/4 and add more until you get the right consistancy)

So throw everything in the bowl, like so:


Looks like a big goopy mess! The kid in me is cheering right now.

Now add the bread crumbs:


This is the point where we get our hands dirty. Just dig in. You could start one handed so you have a free hand to sprinkle in some more breadcrumbs if necessary. Or you could jump in with both hands. Ok so both hands is way more fun.

You looking for a consistency that is still moist, but not falling apart. Also, you don't want to over work the meat because you'll end up with a brick instead of a meatloaf. (Think Hagrid's tea cakes).


Now its time to shape our meatloaf. All you need is a baking dish, and either some oil or some spray release like Pam. Spray your pan, drop your meatloaf in the middle. Shape it like, well, like a meatloaf.

At this point some people slather the top of their meatloaf with ketchup like its some kind of frosting. I never do. I just don't get the concept, I spent all that time making the meat moist and flavorful, why would I want to bury all that flavor under ketchup?

Bake at 350 for about 1 hour. You're looking for an internal temperature of 160 to 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Or you could cut it open and make sure it is not pink in the middle. A meat thermometer is not expensive, is easy to calibrate, and best of all keeps you from getting food poisoning from your own cooking. The one I have even has a handy chart with internal temperatures.

Anywho, now that I've finished my rant about the strange ketchup frosting (why?) and the joys of a thermometer (brilliant!), let me show you what my meatloaf looked like before I cooked it.


Hey, um Yota? that doesn't look like a meatloaf. You know that looks a lot like, well, I don't want to hurt your feelings.

No really you can tell me.

It looks a lot like hamburgers.

I knew I couldn't pass off my hamburgers as meatloaf. But wait! I use the same recipe to prepare the meat for meatloaf and hamburgers.

I put these on the grill, but you could just as easily put these in your fry pan. Add a little oil to your fry pan and cook over med heat. cook about 7 minutes per side, depending on thickness. You want the same internal temperature of 160 to 170 degrees Fahrenheit.

Now this is the point where I would post a lovely finished shot of my hamburgers, but the battery died on my camera, and well honestly, we were too hungry to save one while we waited for the camera to charge. So just pretend that there is a nice picture of a hamburger with all the fixings here.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment